Colour Shapers are a sensible alternative to painting knives when working impasto. Use them also to build glaze layers free of brushstrokes. Colour Shapers create unusual gestural effects in watercolour and hard-edged calligraphic strokes with ink. Try them for blending, smudging, and dabbing your pastel paintings and charcoal drawings too. Clay Shaper tips are like a brush with an extra-firm, long-lasting rubber composite tip. Used for precision modeling, carving patterns through slips, painting glazes, and applying resists.
Apply oil or acrylic straight from tube with a Colour Shaper, and then carve back into paint for unusual surface effects, including calligraphy. Use the rubber tip shapes to lift or blend paint, draw line, and draw contours.
- Colour Shapers for painting / drawing / blending / mark-making
- Use in place of a brush or knife to apply and move paint
- Create texture and effects onto paper or canvas
- Seamless nickel ferrules and lacquered hardwood handles
- Colour Shapers unique silicone-tipped artist’s tools
Tips for use with Oil and Acrylic Paint:
- When using Oils there's no need for white spirit, as you can clean the silicone tips with water…. no more smell!
- When using Acrylics, either wipe the tips clean, or if the paint has dried on, simply peel it off.
- A good way of working with Colour Shapers is the wet-on-wet method. Because the tips are non-absorbent, accidental mixing produces less 'mud'.
- Use a larger Colour Shaper than you think you need because, unlike a brush, they do not spread out under pressure.
- If you use an acrylic retarder, then you are able to create more textures, as you have more time to work.
Colour Shaper Tips:
Taper Point: Apply and carve paint. Blend charcoal and pastel. Create clean linear strokes. Make broad forceful marks.
Cup round: Move heavy paint. Control think colour. Create soft Edged strokes. Blend pastel and charcoal.
Cup Chisel: Adjust contours and edges. Carve paint. Remove paint.
Flat Chisel: Blend paint. Mix paint on the palette. Create flat even strokes of colour.
Angle Chisel: Create expressive strokes. Work from thick to thin. Make precise marks.
Sizes Available: 0, 2, 6, 10 and 16.
Colour Shaper flat: 1-inch, 2-inch and 3-inch Wide Flat Tip Silicone Brush.